Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Waking is Winning..

 

Many folks I meet grouse about getting old. I try to put "old" in its place. When you're young, you compete and worry about everything. Does my hair look good? I need to get back in 34 Jeans. Should I ask Mary out? And where should I take her? We strove to do all we can to be happy.

We mixed education and planning and work and partying into every day. When we were relaxing we were thinking about what we were going to do later. Or in 5 years. Our current crush was always on our mind.

We're investing time and/or money into ourselves, our schools or a business. 

As you get older, life gets simpler. You're 30 lbs heavier so not having the hamburger and fries really isn't gonna make you fat. You're already there. We can roll out of bed at 10 when there's no job to go to yet enough in the retirement to pay a couple of  month's rent. There's much less concern about what your hair looks like when you don't have any. I don't need to spend 45 minutes getting ready before going out for dinner or drinks. I have literally sat down at the local bar in a t shirt and sleeping pants. I can't tell you how many times I've sat down in the diner for breakfast and done Walmart in said pants. I've learned how to carry my wallet, money clip keys and assorted other crap in the limited pockets.

Now you might think that the only benefit is that you don't care what people think. I'm sure the 25 year old hottie at the bar cares not what I'm wearing while having my wings and bourbon. But if you don't love what I've got going on bitch away, I'm not likely to hear.. or even see you. Mumble "that dude at the bar smells" and I'm clueless. Yell "Hey buddy - take your sweat pants outta here.." and I nod "YES, Good Wings!?". A fight in the back of the bar, just take off my glasses and go back to answering r/whatthiscar on Reddit.

Just waking up each day is WINNING!

No comments: